How to: Create an RSS Web Feed in Web Development
In web 1.0 era, most challenging problem faced by a web developer was to keep the site in sync with the information updates, as it consumed more time than developing a new website. Now in web 2.0 era keeping in sync with the updates of news headlines, blog entries, and pod casts are easily done with the help of RSS feeds. The prime objective of these RSS feeds is to inform you about the information updates, so they may either carry the summary of the information updated on the associated page or they may carry full text.
RSS content is read with the help of the software called “RSS reader,” or “aggregator”. RSS feeds are a growing trend in website development, and search engines have started to pay importance to RSS feeds. Webmasters who integrate RSS in their web development process can yield benefits in terms of search engine ranking as well as user experience. This allows the users to stay informed about a particular brand/business by retrieving the latest information from the sites they are interested. The tools used in creating RSS feeds assist web marketers in understanding terminologies in relation to feeds because now they are doing it by tracking the clicks.
Tips to create your own RSS feeds during web development
- Install an RSS editor. Go for any freeware, easy to use application.
- Next step of RSS feeds development during web development is to start with a new file and edit it with channel properties to give the basic information about your feed. Complete with the optional tabs on the channel properties that will prove to be helpful in adding new items in a stream line way.
- Save the file with .xml extension. Start adding new items using the “Add item” feature. It is important to add a link to the full version of item on website.
- Use the description box to enter the content of the website. Any of the common html tags can be used like the ones used during website development or web application development.
- After finishing with the description box now you can apply this to whole RSS feed by clicking on “Apply”. You can then customise the Feed by adding individual items from time to time.
- Once finished with this process then publish your site as normally you do with websites.
Adding the whole text to the feeds will increase the bandwidth. So only summary should be added to the keep the bandwidth in check. On adding new items older ones should be deleted to decrease the bandwidth usage. Other reason to limit yourself to summary is to encourage people to visit you and learn about you more. So take the next step with your website development by adding RSS feed.